Thursday, March 7, 2013

Breathe.

It's nice to have the kind of day with no specific plans or tasks to do.  This was one of those days. 

I flew to Los Angeles this morning.  7AM flight.  Me, along with my friends Kat and Zak - who I met in the online realm of Second Life several years ago - are going to Joshua Tree tomorrow for a long weekend of R&R, hiking and sun.  Since Kat and Zak both had to work today, it's allowed me to do nothing - which is exactly what I needed after a very long work week. 

Today, I looked at the list of upcoming 5Ks in the Twin Cities area.  Since I'm not running (or even close to running) the full 5K, I have to make sure to find those "races" that are listed as both a 5K run and 5K walk.  I don't want to be the last one crossing the finish line.  I've been there (ahem - White Bear last March where I took a complete digger on the ice at the end of the race) and it was humiliating.
  • I know I said I was originally going to do Goldy's Run.  I'm thinking twice about that one - mainly because the Spring Fever 5K, the very first 5K I ever did 2 years ago, falls on the same day - April 14.  It benefits Blaine High School's track program.  It's also considerably cheaper in price ($15 vs. $40).  Since it's right in my backyard too, that most certainly helps too.
  • The Anoka County 4H run - again, one that I did two years ago - falls on April 27, just two weeks later.  That is held at Bunker Lakes Regional Park - not far from my house - and is a very scenic route.
  • The Mud Games Run - at Blaine's Metro Gun Club - is a 1.5 mile run through various obstacles - including mud.  I'm hoping to talk my friend Vicki into doing this one with me, although I know I'll most certainly be slowing her down with my pace.  They also have a 5K option, but since it not is only running but obstacles as well, I'm thinking that may be over ambitious for me with the running stamina (or lack thereof) that I have right now.
I've definitely fallen off the wagon of weight loss lately.  I've been maintaining weight, but I haven't been losing.  Why?  I'm not cooking at home like I should, and am picking things up on the way home.  I'm not tracking my food intake each day, so I'm not keeping a pulse on where I am at - points-wise- throughout the day.  And I'm not exercising.  I'm working.  A lot.  All excuses, I know.  I'm back to old habits of not putting myself and my health first.

So this trip is more of a self-reflection than anything.  Yes, I'm on vacation.  But I also need to reset my mind and my body.  I'm hoping this time away will be exactly the refresh and kick start that I need to get back on my program and on my way towards my goal - "One-derland."

No comments:

Post a Comment