Friday morning, we made the drive over to Joshua Tree from Redondo Beach. It was a much different weather situation than I had experienced in June 2011. It rained - most of the time - that we drove over to Joshua Tree. And even when we got there, to the desert, it was still raining. And it was in the high 40's. Of course, this was a warmer departure from the cooler temperatures I was used to in Minnesota, so I didn't complain. Friday, we did our typical - settled into Casa Rosita at The Desert Lily (the B&B that we stay at on each visit) and grocery shopped for the meals that we would make at "home" in our time there. Zak played the shit-tar (the cheap guitar) at us and we spent plenty of time relaxing on Friday evening.
Sunday was our day of rest. I made an egg bake for us that morning. We were pretty lazy at getting going for the day and didn't get out of Casa Rosita until the afternoon. We made a Taco Bell run for lunch - my first Taco Bell since I went on WW last June - and then ventured into JTNP for a late-afternoon hike. We visited Barkers' Dam - a place that Kat and Zak had yet to visit in their times to JTNP. Beautiful. The scenery, along with the setting sun, made the entire place a breathtaking sight. We also enjoyed the fact that on a Sunday evening, we weren't contending with the crowds we had just the day before. It's like we had the place to ourselves. It was the perfect way to end our time in the park.
Monday found us all in a bit of a depressing mood, mainly because we knew we had to leave the desert. I had a 5:30 flight, so we needed to get on the road by noon. It gave us enough time to not feel rushed with packing up and getting out of town, though. Around 10AM, as Kat was showering, Zak was enjoying a cigarette outside and I was writing in my journal on the couch, I noticed that the grate to the heater started to shake, gradually harder, and then lighter again. Because of all of the wind we had dealt with over the last few days, I chalked it up to that. However, when Zak came inside a bit frantically, I knew otherwise: we had just experienced an earthquake. I confirmed it by checking on the smartphone - a 4.7 magnitude - with an epicenter just to our Southwest. Wild.
Flying back to MN was sad - as it always is - for me. I don't think there's been a time where I haven't silently cried on the plane ride home. Kat and Zak are two of the closest friends I have, and I'm lucky to have them both in my life. I am also lucky to get to see them once - sometimes twice - a year. I'm so happy that they invited me to the desert along with them this year and I can't wait for our next trip out together.
So, I'm now back to reality. And it turns out that the trip was exactly what I needed from a kickstart on the WW front. I lost 5.8 pounds last week. The desert definitely done me good.
2 comments:
Great post for a great trip. Despite some wacky weather, this was one of my favorite Joshua Tree trips, and we loved having you there to share it with once again!
Completely agree - it's always great to go, and it's always better when you're there too.
Post a Comment