Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rest in peace, Jim.

I know this blog is about my weight loss journey - which is mainly a physical thing.  Those of you who have struggled with weight issues over time know that weight is also very much an emotional thing as well.  Therefore, I'm pausing from my typical physical update to give an update from an emotional standpoint.

I graduated with a degree in Marketing in December 1998.  When I graduated, I struggled with trying to know exactly where I was going to apply my degree.  I wasn't a typical marketer - like a MarCom type of person - I was analytical and liked digging into the details and solving concrete problems.  I graduated with a math minor, and I hoped to someday apply those skills in a position out of school.  At that time, analytics was still emerging as a toolset in marketing departments.  Luckily, I lived in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, which became a huge hub of analytics.  When the entry-level position of Associate Marketing Analyst at Catalog Marketing Services (CMS) became available back in late 2001, I was excited: here was a marketing position with an analytic skillset.  I had to take a step backwards from my first job out of college from a pay perspective, but I knew that it was the right decision for the direction I wanted to go, professionally.

CMS was the kind of workplace that had people that were not only co-workers, but felt like family.  At the time that I started, the entire workforce was under 100 people.  I started there on 9/4/2001 - one week to the day before the September 11th attacks. 

Me and Jim, at one of the Graybill pool parties a few years ago.

One of the people I worked most closely at CMS with was Jim Graybill.  He was a marketing manager in my department, and was the strategy man.  Jim mentored me on how to analyze results from a strategic perspective and to develop "the dog-and-pony-show" around what all of the numbers were saying.  Like me, he was a music guru, and often we would quiz each other with various trivia facts about music.  He loved Bruce Springsteen, and loved to harass about my hates of "The Neils": Diamond and Young.  Like me, he was very blunt and sarcastic.  He was a very passionate man and could often be misunderstood.  I won't tell you that everyone liked working with him.  However, I found him to be one of the most genuine and sweet people that I know.  I hung out with him and his wife Sue outside of work as well and got to know their kids.

I left CMS in 2005 for a position with another company.  I kept the e-mail he sent me when I left.  (Yes, I keep everything.) 

> I wanted to tell you a few things
> how talented you are
> I have worked with many talented people over the last twenty some years
> You rock
> Believe in yourself
> I do
> You have a special gift
> I hope that you can fully realize it in your new job
>
> I will miss you
> more than words can say
> I care about you Jess
> Take care of yourself
> I just want you to be happy
>
> I will miss you
> both personally and professionally
>
> no good byes
> just see you later
> Jim

When I came to Infogroup 5 months ago, I realized that we provided analytical services to Jim's company.  I found myself on weekly conference calls with him.  Based on the banter in those calls, it was almost like we took from right where we left off 7 years ago.

Saturday morning, I received a call from Holly, who I worked with at CMS.  She told me that Jim had passed away in his sleep overnight.  I felt like I had been hit by a bus.  I just talked to him.  He was gone?  This can't be right.  The news hit me very hard.  I was supposed to play in my college soccer alumni game later that day and I honestly didn't feel like doing anything.  Jim wouldn't have wanted that.  So I picked myself up and went. 

Tomorrow are the services to remember Jim.  It will be an (unfortunate) reunion - bringing together people from the past (CMS) and the present (Infogroup). 

No goodbyes. 

We'll see you later, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment