Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Surviving the Slip-Ups

"I've failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan


Definitely a good mantra to live by.  This is my third time on Weight Watchers - the first two times were doing the online-only tracking.  This time around, I'm doing the online tracking but have also included the accountability and education that comes with the weekly meetings.  This week's meeting was all about learning from slip-ups.  The message conveyed: mistakes will be made...nobody's perfect.  What really matters is how you learn from those mistakes and move on. 

One mistake that comes to mind that I've definitely learned by with going on this program: counting out true servings.  In the past, I used to just grab the bag of chips or the box of crackers and just eat until I felt full.  Instead, I'm getting out a bowl and dishing myself what is a true serving based on what the snack bag/box says.  If I still feel hungry after that 'true' serving of what I ate, I grab some fruit.  Free points that don't count toward my daily allowance.

I'm on a business trip this week.  It's definitely harder to stick with plan when you don't have specific items in your fridge to choose from.  You have to go with the force - what's available on a quick timeframe OR making the right choice when you're faced with not a lot of options of dinner locations.  All of this while trying to stay healthy at the same time.  Tonight, my dinner was at "the best burger joint in town" - Nutz Deep II.  (Waiting for laughter from my reading audience on that name.  Yes, I bought a tee shirt.  I HAD to.)  Though the burgers on the menu sounded absolutely amazing, I opted for a grilled chicken ranch sandwich (with bacon!).  It was delicious.  And much healthier than the burger alternative.  Fries would have been an extra cost to the meal.  Since I'm on the business expense budget, I opted out.  Perfect - less temptation.  I had a very miniscule serving of potato chips - actually looked like a 'true' serving - not a 'restaurant' size serving.  I said no to the beer and opted instead for a Diet Coke.  However, I did partake in a few cheese curds in the appetizer.  Regardless, I was proud when I left.  I made good decisions - all on an empty stomach.  I'm not sure I could have said that a couple months ago.

Monday's weigh-in was a successful one.  Down 1.6 pounds.  Again, it's not like the weight is melting off, but it's a loss.  I felt that it should have been more based on the week I had "on paper" last week with diet and exercise.  I need to be happy with the baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment